- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper (1 small)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery (I stalk)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 10-ounce package frozen cut okra* or cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 ounces cooked smoked sausage links, sliced
- 3 cups hot cooked long grain or brown rice
- For roux, in a 3-quart heavy saucepan combine flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir constantly for 8 to 10 minutes more or until the roux is dark reddish brown.
- Stir in onion, sweet pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in Cajun seasoning. Stir in broth and 3/4 cup water. Add okra. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in chicken and sausage; heat through. To serve, ladle gumbo into bowls with rice. If desired, top each serving with sliced green onion and pass bottled hot pepper sauce. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- *Note: If you can't find cut okra, buy whole. Thaw slightly and slice